Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Lesson

I read a blurb by Don Surber about Ashton Kutcher, faux environmentalist, arguing against oil drilling (citing the BP disaster) while driving a huge truck that gets 7 mpg. OK, so what else is new? A hyper privileged Hollywood matinee idol is a hypocrite. Tell me something I didn't know.

But you have to go to the video by Michelle Oddis linked by Surber to get buried lede:

"This is like not a right, it’s a privilege to be on this land and using its resources and we have to be smart about it.”

Excuse me? I don't have a right "be on this land"? If I don't have a right to be on this land, what exactly what land do I have a "right to be on"? Any land anywhere? Didn't some guy named Jefferson write something about that a while back? And who is it, Mr. Kutcher, that grants me the "privilege" of "being on this land"? You? The government? The Sierra Club? PETA?

And back to hypocrisy: Driving a truck weighing more than 7 tons which gets 7 mpg is "being smart about it"?

What an ass.

Why does each new generation need to learn anew not to take political advice from actors? My own lesson came (more than a bit late) from Jane Fonda. Here's hoping Ashton Kutcher just taught some people something good.

1 comment:

  1. "This is like not a right, it’s a privilege to be on this land and using its resources..."

    Arizona thanks Ashton Kutcher for his support.

    ReplyDelete